Category Archives: What Are You Listening To
I already know what podcasts Dorktown listens to. That’s boring. I’d rather hear what other podcasters are listening to. This time we asked, Chris Brown of The Married Gamers podcast, what he listens to. Take it away, Chris!:
Podcasts are cool! Whether you have hundreds of thousands of listeners or thirty, podcasts are an audio version of cave paintings. It is a DIY (Do It Yourself) way of sharing
things you hate or love and hopefully informing or entertaining you and a collection of others. No hyberbole, if it wasn’t for podcasts, my wife and I might have gotten a divorce. For my wife and I, podcasts were better than freakin’ couples therapy!
I have a long list of shows I listen to, but I’m going to highlight four that I am always eager to tune in for each new release.
* DGRadio ~This was my first podcast I started listening to. John, Moe and Hilden have been through names changes, shifted their focus from video games to entertainment of all types, and have created music and soon their first movie. Sadly, the heart of the podcast, Hilden passed away suddenly just a few weeks ago. The just released their last podcast honoring their late friend and they have their entire history of shows archived to be enjoyed for the ages. Episode 391: For Hilden
* Some Other Castle ~Elaine and Leah do a side-splittingly funny video game podcast that is easily one of the best podcasts out there. There’s a lot of boob and penis jokes, and they may have talked about John Madden in ways that would make even the closet-fetishist blush. That said, these two ladies are informative and passionate about games so much it has me trying Person 4 on my PS Vita, and I despise JRPGs (Japanese Role Playing Games). Episode 78: Vodkacast
* The 40cast ~Hosted by four guys from different parts of the country, the 40cast covers a wide-swath of topics from video games to politics to race relations. I don’t always agree with them but on several occasions they make me question my likes and beliefs. Their shows are lengthy and because of their mature content I only listen to them in my car so I often will keep to surface streets to make my “drive-time” longer. Episode 172: Vaginal Knitting, Really?!
* Game on Girl ~I often refer to this podcast, hosted by Regina McMenomy (Ph.D.) and Rhonda Oglesby, as the NPR of video game podcasting. This is a show that will make you think about gaming in a larger sense. They have frequent guests on each episode that speak to the show’s topic. Intelligent discussion, passionate about gaming, and inviting personalities make this one of my favorite podcasts. Episode 91: 2014 Films and Wonder Woman on the Big Screen
Welcome back to our continuing feature called “What You Are Listening To” where we ask other podcasters what podcasts they’ve been enjoying or, well, hating lately. This week we have Roger Gonzales from Dead In 60 Years, cluing us in to some cool shit.
I couldn’t just pick one, I’m sorry! I work a job where I sit alone at a cubicle editing footage of teeth all day. The only interaction I have with humans is when I’m yelling at my animation team in Lahore Pakistan via Skype.
These are the podcasts that get me through my day, take my mind off the mundane and allow me to laugh in a humorless work environment.
- Get up on this: A podcast that attempts to get you up on things (music/technology/film) early. Great guests hilarious stories and informative at times.
Episode 107 w/ Annie Lederman.
Episode 040 w/ Fat Jew.
- Ari Shaffir’s Skeptic Tank: Went through a breakup the other month… misery loves company! Two episodes that remind you it could always be worse. Comedian Sarah Tiana meets a Navy Seal while on a USO tour and shit goes bad the day of the recorded podcast. Episode #87 follows up where #73 left off. ITS BONKERS!
#73: Love Scam.
#87: Mended Heart.
- Slumber Party with Alie and Georgia: TV show hostess of “Tripping Out with Alie and George” interview guest and share way too much of their personal life.
#13: Flash Flood of Sadness.
Since the demise of the Podcast Rankings, we’ve been yearning for other ways to connect with and feature podcasts on the blog. Podcasts we, as big podcast listeners, might be missing. So we’ve started a new feature on the blog called “What YOU Are Listening To”. We ask podcasting friends what shows they’ve been enjoying lately and put them up here to…hear. Hope you enjoy discovering, along with us, what some of our favorite podcasters are listening to.
First up, Jason, from our favorite nerd news podcast, BastardCast.
Basically, Disasterpiece Theatre skewers the Hollywood system by firing funny mental buckshot on a weekly basis as they pitch some of the greatest and most bizarre never were movies in the history of… all of it.
I’m listening now… “Down Periscope was an amazing movie” and “It’s all about Obelisks” just flew into my ears. It’s a weird and brilliant show that makes me laugh.